I sincerely apologize.
I made this make-your-taste-buds-DANCE creation weeks ago for my brothers road trip back to college over spring break…I had this ready to be posted…and…
well…now he’s home for summer (woo hoo!)
I apologize to your taste buds, and your hearts, for the wait because this Tuna Avocado Salad Mish is
My brother is at times skeptical of my “healthy” concoctions. This probably stems from all the times my mom tried to pass off something vegan or vegetarian as having meat (never a good move…but love you Mom!)
So, when I volunteered to make him lunch for his road trip…a super healthy lunch because he had just spent the week partying his tush off in Europe, he was reluctant to say yes. But he knew he had to start eating better since he spent the week over-indulging in Rome (I mean, who wouldn’t…that pasta!)…
He requested tuna, so I made a healthier tuna salad with just as much creaminess and flavor, but with a special twist! I used…AVOCADO! Swapping out fatty mayo, which has almost no nutritional purpose, instantly made this classic a nutritious home run! (SCORE!)
Additionally, this healthy fat helps us better absorb the fat-soluble vitamins in our vegetables! Avocados contain a powerful punch of:
- Vitamin A: a fat soluble vitamin that keeps our eyes and skin in tip-top shape!
- Folate: important for our brain and nervous system.
- Magnesium: required for our bones and teeth
- Potassium: important for our hearts
- Fiber: keeps us moving...20% of your recommended daily value in this recipe alone!
Mixing this re-vamped tuna salad with chopped greens, tomatoes, and peppers created a homemade hometown favorite: TUNA MISH! A mish is simply a chopped salad with your topping protein mixed in. In this case, we used tuna. You can also sub chicken salad, egg salad, etc. You don’t even need dressing because it tastes that good! Get creative and choose your favorite proteins and veggies!
So seriously, how do you think your taste buds would dance? The running man? Electric slide? Would they twerk?
- For Tuna Avocado Salad alone:
- 1 can white albacore tuna
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- ½ roasted red pepper, chopped
- 6 red grapes, chopped
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- Small pinch of salt
- Hefty squirt of lemon
- For mish: (you can really use any vegetables/fruit you enjoy paired with tuna!)
- 2 cups greens (the darker the better), finely chopped
- ½ of beefsteak tomato, chopped
- ½ of whole bell pepper (any color), chopped
- ¼ cup green grapes, chopped
- Open & drain can of tuna. Flake with a fork into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash half of an avocado well, add dijon mustard and spices. Mix to combine.
- Add avocado mixture to the tuna bowl. Then add all chopped veggies (to tuna) and grapes. Add squirt of lemon (don’t be shy). Stir/mash so tuna-avocado salad is formed.
- Add mish chopped vegetables (greens, etc). Mix so that tuna is evenly spread throughout (it has a tendency to clump!). Serve in your favorite salad bowl and top with an extra squirt of lemon and pinch of black pepper, if desired.
Mix it…mish it…enjoy it!
Are you going to make this awesome swap to get in shape for summer?!?