These homemade Chocolate Pumpkin Sunflower Seed Butter Cups will satisfy your sweet tooth with a little crunch, thanks to superfood chia seeds, as the perfect seasonal treat!
Vegan | Gluten Free | Grain Free | Nut Free | Dairy Free | Egg Free
Happy Monday, my friends! I hope you had a weekend full of outdoor adventures, delicious food, and plenty of FUN!
Scott was out of town this weekend, so I took advantage of so much quiet and whistled while I worked away! As much as I preach a work-life balance, I don’t always follow my own advice, so this Monday morning was feeling a tad more Monday-ish than usual. But, it’s our new nephew’s bris today, so I’m all smiles!
And smiling even more because I did get to spend some time in the kitchen, including whipping up another batch of these Chocolate Pumpkin Sunflower Seed Butter Cups (and this PUMPKIN PIZZA!)
I don’t know about you, but I like to treat myself everyday… and even more-so when I’m working! I’m not a “dessert only on the weekends” type of person, because what if I don’t want dessert on the weekends, but Monday has chocolate written all over it?!
That’s why I eat with intuition and practice mindful eating… and teach my clients to as well! When no foods are off limits, it’s liberating because you can always eat something again (no “diet starts tomorrow!”).
No dessert is more satisfying, to me, as some combination of chocolate and sunflower seed butter (for my non-nut free friends, maybe it’s almond butter or peanut butter for you!). That’s probably why this is my THIRD sunflower seed butter cup recipe… and I see no signs of slowing down!
So with the tiiiiiniest taste of fall last week, this recipe obviously features the veggie of the season – PUMPKIN!
I combined sunflower seed butter, pure pumpkin puree, and everyone’s favorite spice – pumpkin pie spice (affil link)!
But what is pumpkin pie spice?! It contains NO pumpkin! It’s typically a combination of the spices you use to make pumpkin pie: cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg. If a recipe ever calls for pumpkin pie spice, you can always use a combination of these spices to achieve the same results. But I always like to have a jar on hand!
These Chocolate Pumpkin Sunflower Seed Butter Cups are…
- No bake
- Easy to make in 20ish minutes
- Food allergy friendly – nut free, dairy free, soy free, gluten free and vegan!
- Full of superfoods, like chia seeds and dark chocolate
- Stuffed with PUMPKIN!
- Absolutely DELICIOUS!
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Generous pinch of salt
- Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, then continue to microwave in 30-second intervals, mixing in between, until chocolate is smooth.
- Line 20 mini muffin tin cups with paper liners. Coat the bottom of the lined muffin tins with melted chocolate. Tilt the pan slightly in all directions to coat the edges of the liners. Place in the freezer to harden.
- While the chocolate is setting, make the pumpkin sunflower seed butter filling. In a small bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, sunflower seed butter, maple syrup, chia seeds, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Note, the filling will be thick.
- When the chocolate is set, add about 1/2 teaspoon of filling to the center of each muffin tin. Shake the tin or press filling down with the back of a spoon so it's in a flat layer.
- Pour additional chocolate on top of the filling so it is completely covered. Sprinkle with sea salt, and if desired, pumpkin seeds or chia seeds.
- Place back in the freezer to harden for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy straight from the freezer!
Store in freezer or refrigerator.
Don’t forget to PIN IT…
Let the candy-making, holiday gifting commence!
If you want to stay connected or you make something from C it Nutritionally I would LOVE to see your creations! Tag me or use the hashtag #CitNutritionally!
Let’s get social!