Healthy Birthday Cake Energy Bites are perfect for when there’s no time to bake a cake, but totally time to savor the flavors in a treat made for your special day! Made with whole food ingredients for a great snack to hold you over any day of the year!
A bite of birthday cake wrapped into a tiny ball that’s actually healthy for you?! I’d say that’s a great way to ring in 27!
If you haven’t guessed it, YESTERDAY was my birthday! Since I never post on Sundays I didn’t want to start now, so what’s one day late?!
I had a great day, even if I did spend some time studying for finals in between the fun. I took one of my favorite dance classes at 305 (despite my rants about working out at home, sometimes it’s still fun to get out!), I had a great New York brunch and then my parents took me out for dinner…and in between everything I got some studying done for finals so I didn’t freak out! Helloooo type A personality…some things just don’t go away with age!
I needed to celebrate the big 2-7 on the blog because this year I managed to let my blogiversary slide by (it was in August FYI!) without proper balloons, confetti and rainbow sprinkles (especially rainbow sprinkles!). Since December babies have the joy of celebrating during finals week (maybe the last time for moi!!!), I wanted to whip up a quick treat!
But I have a feeling I’ll be making these year-round!
These nut-free energy bites are absolutely DELICIOUS! And they taste just like a little ball of heaven that’s special enough for a birthday, but nutritious enough for everyday snackin’. You can play around with the ingredients if you’re not nut-free and use almond butter or almonds, but I haven’t tried (for obvious reasons).
These healthy birthday cake energy bites are…
- Gluten Free (with certified gluten free oats)
- Have no added sugar (less the sprinkles…leave them out if you’re the party pooper!)
- Contain over 3 grams protein each and 2.5 grams fiber!
- Are made with REAL food and REAL ingredients!
- A perfectly portable snack!
Let’s jump right in because I have studying time to make up with all of my celebrations…
- ¼ cup rolled oats*
- ¼ cup raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 5 medjool dates (make sure they’re soft!)
- ½ tablespoon nut/seed butter of choice (I obviously used sunflower seed butter)
- 1 teaspoon milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: Rainbow sprinkles, white chocolate
- In a food processor, pulse oats and pepitas until flour-like consistency forms. Remove from processor and set aside in a small bowl.
- Process dates, nut/seed butter, milk and vanilla extract until a paste-like consistency forms.
- Slowly add in the oat/pepita mixture until combined. You may need to continuously scrape down the side of the bowl so all ingredients are well combined. The mixture will be sticky.
- Remove from the food processor bowl and add 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles, if desired. Roll into 1-inch balls and place on wax paper. Optional: Drizzle melted white chocolate over the top and let harden. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
And just like that you have birthday cake in the shape of a ball!
Wishing all of my fellow December babies a very happy birthday!