Spring is here so lighten up your plate with just 6 ingredients (plus salt & pepper) in this Shrimp Avocado Salad — full of healthy fats, lean protein, and fiber – thrown together in just 20 minutes!
Happy SPRING friends! Obviously we welcomed spring with 35 degree weather because the weather gods cannot make up their minds, BUT, it’s officially SPRING nonetheless!
I’m excited to welcome spring with #TheRecipeRedux…although the recipe I’m sharing today may have more of a summer feel written all over it! Whoooops!
Before I explain more, let me share this month’s theme….7-Ingredient (Or Less) Recipes…
It’s Income Tax Season, so our brains could use some easy arithmetic; as in seven-ingredient-or-less recipes. Show us the healthy, no-brainer dish you fix for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I don’t share many fish recipes, even though lately I’ve been eating more fish than I have in the past 5 years (despite last week’s What I Ate Wednesday), so I figured I’d bend my Meatless Monday rules to share this deeeelish recipe. I mean, the Redux only comes around once a month anyways…and I can have a meat-free ((and fish-free)) Tuesday!
I’m a big fan of fish salads – tuna salad, whitefish salad, shrimp salad, etc, but as I’ve mentioned before, I try to only eating them when I DIY because they’re often loaded with too much mayo and extra (saturated) fat.
So when I had some extra shrimp laying around and a perfectly ripe avocado on the counter, I knew it was time to whip up a shrimp avocado salad!
- Loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats
- Fiberlicious – 13 grams, or 40%, in your average avocado!
- A good source of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin K and folate.
- Filling due to their awesome nutrient profile.
- A creamy dressing substitute…try my Lemon Avocado Dressing!
Avocados provide the ideal creaminess to make this lunch THAT good…like inside of a lobster shrimp roll good. Shrimp can be found year-round and you can even use flash frozen shrimp for this recipe to get your summer shrimp salad fix just as it’s blossoming into spring! Plus, with 120 calories per 4 oz serving, shrimp provide a whopping 24 grams of lean protein.
Let’s just dig into this recipe…you’re going to LOVE it! Then, check out the other 7-ingredient or less recipes my fellow Reduxers created below.
- 1 medium avocado, mashed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 20 medium to large shrimp, steamed and cooled
- 1/4 cup red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup raw mixed veggies (ie: halved cucumbers, chopped bell peppers, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped celery, etc…use what you have on hand!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine mashed avocado, mustard and lemon juice.
- Add shrimp and vegetables, then mix until evenly coated with avocado mixture. Season with salt and pepper and adjust according to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and consume within 2-3 days. Serve over a bed of greens, with whole grain crackers, or straight out of the bowl! Enjoy!
Have a happy Monday and stay healthy all spring long!
Got SPRING FEVER? Check out these posts…