Kick a classic recipe up a notch with the addition of savory sun dried tomatoes and a splash of balsamic vinegar in my sun dried tomato bruschetta! Made with only 7 ingredients, it’s a simple and tasty way to kick off your next dinner party.
Simplicity is where it’s at right now in my life. Last week I shared my 6-ingredient go-to lunch when I need a perfect combination of macronutrients (not to get too nutrition-y on ya), and today I’m sharing the ideal entertaining app…with just 7 ingredients!
Entertaining season is upon us (how was your Easter brunch/dinner?) and before we know it every weekend will be spent at the beach with a Sunday BBQ dinner…I just can’t wait! Last weekend I got the entertaining bug and invited some friends over to our new apartment for game night. Even though I spent the entire day making sure our new home was in order to host our friends (sorrrrryyy I’m not sorry I’m THAT type A!), I wanted to make the food simple and easy so we could get to the games…because that’s where the fun is at!
Side note: My friends insisted we play Settlers of Catan and after I got the hang of it (and won…woo!) I am now obsessed! Have you ever played? It’s a combination of Monopoly and Oregon Trail, requiring strategy and a bit of luck too…I 100% recommend it!
So what was on my menu? I went Italian, because it’s a crowd pleaser, and whipped up a simple salad, humungo veggie lasagna, and started it all with some polenta stuffed mushrooms (still perfecting that recipe….yes, if you come over you ARE a guinea pig) and this sun dried tomato bruschetta.
A few weeks ago I went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant with some friends and had some of the best bruschetta. Ever since, the savory, yet somewhat sweet, combination of tomatoes, basil and garlic, with a hint of sea salt and olive oil has been calling my name! I wanted to switch things up a bit, and since tomatoes aren’t exactly in season YET, I added some sun dried tomatoes for an added layer of sweetness.
This sun dried tomato bruschetta is…
- Savory with hints of sweetness
- Made in under an hour
- Simple enough for a new cook
Let’s get to the games…
- 2 ½ cups tomatoes, chopped (I used Roma tomatoes)
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- ¼ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Whole wheat baguette or brioche toasts, sliced into ¼-inch pieces
- Optional: Sea salt, Olive oil, Black pepper
- In a medium-sized bowl combine all ingredients except for the bread. Mix to combine and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld together.
- When you are ready to serve, lightly toast sliced baguette in a 375° oven for about 5 minutes on each side, or until edges are slightly browned and crispy.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of bruschetta mixture on top of each piece of toasted bread and serve immediately. Sprinkle with sea salt and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
So tell me…What’s your go-to game night game?