Nut free friends rejoice! Wake up to creamy overnight chia oats that taste just like your favorite childhood sammie, but nut free, peanut free, and gluten free if desired, with minimal hands on time! Now who says you don’t have time for breakfast?
One of my favorite grab and go breakfasts in my nut free world is an SSB&J on whole grain bread. That’s sunflower seed butter and jelly for all ya’ll newbies! But sometimes, I can get bored of this classic. ((an atrocity, I know!))
So what’s this nut free girl living in her nut free world to do about it?!
Turn my favorite sammie into overnight chia oats...I mean, duh!
For those of you who claim to “not have time for breakfast,” I’ve officially unexcused your excuse. On warm back to school days, this cold breakfast requires ZERO morning time, but still packs a hefty dose of nutrition. I mean, what’s better than that? You can double, triple, or quadruple the recipe to feed your entire family and just dish it out in the morning. Or double it and eat half for breakfast and the other half for a snack.
I’m truly speechless, so it’s good a picture is worth a thousand words…
…but in case you need some words too, this 5-ingredient recipe is…
- Gluten free
- Nut and peanut free
- Without added sugar
- Loaded with omega 3 fatty acids (the heart-healthy kind!)
- Guaranteed to keep you full for hourrsssss
- and cold…because it’s still H-O-T out there!
Now dig in!!!
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ⅓ cup rolled oats
- Pinch of salt
- ¼-½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sunflower seed butter
- 1 tablespoon berry chia jam
- Add chia seeds, oats, salt and cinnamon to a small jar or bowl. Gently stir to combine.
- Add 1 teaspoon sunflower seed butter and milk and mix until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed together. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
- Refrigerate overnight or for at least 4 hours. In the morning, add 1 tablespoon each sunflower seed butter and chia jam, in layers, as pictured, if desired. Enjoy!
Personally, I think this recipe is best with my raspberry cinnamon chia jam…but I guess I’m biased!
As much as I love store bought jams, I try to limit my intake to special occasions only because of the high sugar content. Plus, chia seeds pack a hefty omega 3 fatty acids punch (plus fiber and protein too!), so I’m a fan! Feel free to swap fresh fruit to get the same taste!
Or feeling extra decadent? Use my chocolate sunflower seed butter spread instead for a more dessert-like treat!
Or, if you don’t have a tree nut or peanut allergy, feel free to use whatever nut butter you have on hand…it’ll definitely be deeelish either way!
Share with me…Do you have a favorite make ahead breakfast?
Looking for more seed buttery recipes?! Check ’em out…
Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter [no added sugar!]