Bite into a refreshing burst of summer in this 8-Ingredient Green Quinoa Salad! It’s full of fiber, plant based protein, and healthy fats that will keep you satisfied as a nourishing lunch or a crowd-pleasing side at your next summer BBQ! Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Peanut Free
What’s better than a refreshing summer salad? A refreshing summer QUINOA salad with allll the green foods I can think of…OK, maybe not all, but muchos and muchos of lean, mean, green superfoods.
What is a superfood anyways? In case you never read my take on superfoods – read this! I think ANY food can be a superfood as long as it’s a REAL food, with nourishing nutritious benefits that you enjoy eating. So it doesn’t have to be the latest acai or hemp hearts or even quinoa. Edamame? Superfood! Brown rice? Superfood! So if you don’t care for quinoa, still make this salad with YOUR favorite whole grain. Barley? Farro? Amaranth? Teff? Allllll good!
For some reason I decided to pick up a whole bag of limes one week when I was food shopping. I don’t typically have a thing for limes, but it was getting hot out and I wanted a new, refreshing flavor. Well, I got busy at work and the limes sat there for a week or two (whoooops!). Just as they were going bad I decided that fresh lime juice would make the perfect dressing…and I was right!
This salad is SO simple and SO refreshing, with a hint of lime flavor – you can even zest some right in, but I didn’t want to get too fancy on ya’ll! That just barely tart flavor from the lime, but the smoothness of the olive oil, coats sweet but tangy green grapes, plant based protein packed edamame, and spicy arugula.
This salad is…
- Perfect for summer BBQs
- A great lunch as leftovers
- Gluten free
- SIMPLE to make
- Great for a crowd!
Now this is a definite crowd-pleaser at your next summer party. Quinoa disbelievers, start believin’!
- For the salad:
- ½ cup quinoa, dry and rinsed
- 1 cup edamame, shelled
- ½ cup parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dill, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup green onions (scallions), chopped
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 1 avocado, pitted, flesh removed, chopped
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Optional: 1 teaspoon lime zest
- For the dressing:
- Juice of 4 limes
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Prepare quinoa: Combine ½ cup quinoa with 1 cup water and pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 9 minutes. Shut off the heat and let sit for 10 additional minutes. Let quinoa cool.
- While cooking the quinoa, prepare the dressing in a large bowl. Whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add salad ingredients to the large bowl.
- When quinoa is cooled, add it to the salad and toss to combine. You can enjoy immediately, but it tastes better after the flavors meld in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Happy Meatless Monday!
Other refreshing summer salads…