Take a bite into this Arugula and Sunflower Seed Pesto with Mushrooms and Zoodles for a burst of fresh flavors, that spiciness only arugula can provide, and layers of complex flavor made with just a few ingredients. Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Oil Free
Sometimes I can’t believe how quickly The Redux creeps up on me every month! I’ve now been a part of this fantabulous group of bloggers for well over a year, so you would think I would plan ahead and have pleeennty of time to get my act together in order to post on the 21st of every month…but nooooope…I frequently wait until the week of to actually make and photograph my recipe and put everything together my post (which totally takes way longer than it looks!). Some habits die hard!
This month, I knew I would have plenty of time to brainstorm, create, photograph, edit and get my act together the week of The Redux because I just finished my clinical rotations and have been freeeee as a bird this week!
Anywhoooo, this month’s theme is one of my faves because of its simplicity…
With produce galore, now’s a great time to enjoy lots of fruits and vegetables. Show us how you’re serving the bounty of gardens and orchards in shapes like ribbons, noodles, cut-outs, or other creative cuts.
Ummm DONE! I spiralize at least once a week, and even though I usually make the same old, same old, I had the perfect recipe up my sleeve I first created a month or so ago and didn’t have time to re-create and photograph yet. Love it when the stars align!
Every bite you take of this Arugula and Sunflower Seed Pesto is a burst of freshness and that arugula spiciness in your mouth, but also refreshing and satisfying and layered with flavor in just a few ingredients. You can make this recipe and then use leftovers to top fish or grilled chicken, or even later it on humungo grilled portobellos…oooo I’ll definitely be trying that one!
I threw some mushrooms into the zoodles for texture and satisfaction, but go ahead and swap in whatever lean protein you like…tofu, fish, shrimp, chicken…I know they’ll all be deeeelish!
This recipe is…
- Delicious warm OR cold!
- Gluten free & Grain free
- Oil free
- Full of flavor
- Made in less than 30 minutes
- Made with 9 ingredients (only 6 for the pesto itself!)
- A total flavor bomb in your mouth!
- For the pesto:
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 tablespoons sunflower seeds, raw or roasted (additional for garnish)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup parsley, de-stemmed and chopped
- ½ small avocado (~ ¼ cup mashed)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup water* + additional for desired consistency
- *May substitute extra virgin olive oil, if desired.
- For the complete dish:
- 3 zucchinis, spiralized, or made into thin strands with vegetable peeler
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor or high powered blender, combine all pesto ingredients and pulse until smooth and well combined. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times and continue to pulse until pesto-like consistency forms. Set aside.
- Heat a saute pan sprayed with nonstick spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes. Add spices and continue to saute until browned very well. Set aside in a bowl.
- Spray the saute pan with nonstick spray again and add the zucchini ribbons. Gently toss for just 3-5 minutes, until soft to the bite.
- Add the cooked zoodles to the bowl with the mushrooms. Add half of the pesto and toss to combine well. Taste, season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Add additional pesto, to taste (or save leftovers to top a lean protein for tomorrow!). Enjoy!
How DELISH?! Now check out all of these other produce-filled recipes from my fellow Reduxers…