Follow a G-Free diet? Have your pasta and stay healthy too with this Gluten Free Greek Pasta Salad! My secret? Brown rice and quinoa pasta enhanced with fresh Mediterranean-inspired flavors.
Welllll hello there vegheads! My blogging schedule has most definitely been on summer vacay and I know it’s led to some erratic posting, but I’m back and here for #MeatlessMonday again!
So how’ve ya been?! Summer has been crazy here between weddings, traveling every weekend, and birthdays, happy hours, and the HEAT! Let me tell you it was H-O-T last week in NYC!
But I was super excited to spend this past weekend in the city…I had a girls day on Saturday with one of my closest friends who’s getting married in just 6 weeks (ahhhh!). We spent the morning at 305 Fitness #shreddingforthewedding, had a deeelish brunch at Cafe Clover, and then went veil shopping, got mani/pedis, and all that guuurl stuff! Such fun!
Since it’s been so hot I haven’t wanted to turn on my oven at all. My tiny kitchen overheats if I’m just sauteing some veggies, so the oven was a no-go. This pasta salad came to the rescue…and I legit proceeded to eat it every day for a week straight!
Pasta salads get a bad rap because they’re often fat traps with creamy marinades. Buttttt, you can have your pasta and eat it too with this lighter take. This recipe comes together with just a handful of ingredients you can find in any grocery store.
Cukes…red onion…some olives…(jarred) roasted bell peppers…fresh herbs and spices…and pasta!
I’ve been obsesssssed with Trader Joe’s Brown Rice Quinoa Fusilli for a few reasons…
- It’s naturally gluten free.
- Contains 5g plant-based protein per serving!
- Contains 2g fiber per serving (plus more with veggies!)
- It has NO sodium and minimal fat (less than 2g/serving).
- No bitter taste some whole grain pastas have! #winning
- Quick to cook and makes a great last minute meal.
So let’s just get to it…OPA!
You can use any pasta of choice, but be sure to salt your pasta water before cooking. While your pasta is cooking, combine the veggies and spices with vinegar and a bit of olive oil to let the vegetables just begin to pickle. Then, by the time your pasta is cool enough to add to the veggies, you’ll be good to go.
Simply toss and combine with fresh herbs and spices. Feel free to add some extra parsley and dill or even kick things up a notch with some cilantro or basil! Fresh herbs can do no wrong in my book!
- ½ lb brown rice or quinoa fusilli* (I used Trader Joes)
- 2 persian cucumbers, sliced lengthwise and deseeded, cut into half moons
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 roasted bell pepper, chopped
- 4 kalamata olives, chopped (more if desired)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- Optional: Feta cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions. Don’t forget to sufficiently salt your pasta water! Drain and let cool. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cucumbers, onion, bell pepper, olives, vinegar, ½ tablespoon oil and spices. Let sit for at least 10-15 minutes so the vinegar can slightly pickle the vegetables.
- Add the pasta to the vegetables and toss together. Add the other ½ tablespoon olive oil, herbs, and feta cheese, if desired. Toss and enjoy!
Stay cool out there!
Looking for more Greek-inspired meat-free recipes? Check these out: