Flavorful, colorful, and made in under 20 minutes, this Mexican Quinoa Salad will become your go-to weekday lunch to keep you energized, without weighing you down.
Soooo the SUPER BOWL?! Did you see that half time show?!
For 100% disclosure, I did not pay attention to the game AT ALL. Today is MOVING DAY and the first day of my clinical rotations of my internship so I was tying up loose ends, packing odds and ends, and reviewing to kick serious butt in the hospital today!
Wish me luck!
I made this salad last week to use up of some last of my pantry staples (hellooo black beans and quinoa). There are SO many quinoa salads floating around on the world wide web, so why is mine the bomb dot com?!
- Full of plant-based protein
- Loaded with FIBER
- So colorful AND flavorful
- Free of the top 8 food allergens
- Made in less than 20 minutes!
Wayyyyy back when (before the thought of creating C it Nutritionally was ever in my mind), this Mexican Quinoa Salad was a go-to staple in my diet. Why I’ve never shared the recipe I’m not too sure! I made some variation of a quinoa salad nearly everyday for lunch because quinoa is SUCH a superfood for me (yes, I still like that term!).
One cup of [cooked] quinoa contains just over 200 calories, over 5 grams fiber and 8 grams protein. It’s filling and satisfying, but doesn’t weigh you down like some other grains may so you can float right through your afternoon responsibilities!
So what are you waiting for? Dig in…
- For the salad:
- ½ cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup red/orange/yellow bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup onion (red or yellow), chopped
- ½ cup tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 cup black beans (canned, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- For the dressing:
- 2 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (the juice of 1 large lime)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper (more to taste)
- In a small saucepan combine quinoa with 1 cup water [or vegetable stock] and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 9 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let rest for 5-10 minutes with the top on.
- While the quinoa is cooking and resting, prepare veggies. Chop all veggies, as described above, and combine, with corn and beans, in a large bowl. Set aside.
- To make dressing, whisk together lime juice, oil, garlic and spices, in a small bowl, until uniform consistency forms.
- Once quinoa is done cooking, add it to the bowl with vegetables and beans. Drizzle dressing over salad and mix well to combine.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate. Enjoy!
Easy peasy! Have a FABULOUS Monday!
More QUINOA recipes…
Quinoa & Lentil Power Bowl