Dive spoon-first into a bowl (or cone!) of 5-ingredient Salted Double Chocolate Chip Banana “Ice Cream” for a frozen treat that’s every bit as creamy and satisfying as the full-fat, dairy original and will satisfy your sweet and salty cravings! 100% good for you, easy to make, and free of all major food allergens. Vegan. Dairy free. Gluten free. Tree nut and peanut free.
Happppyy July 4th! (insert fireworks emoji here)
I hope you’re having a long weekend full of sunshine, sand between your toes, and BBQs…or however YOU wish to be spending your Fourth of July! I couldn’t let Independence Day fly by without sharing the sweet and salty treat I’ll be digging into — spoon first — on my way to seeing the Macy’s fireworks this evening — Salted Double Chocolate Chip Banana “Ice Cream.”
Yes, it’s as good as it sounds.
No, it’s not real ice cream.
Yes, you can eat it for breakfast tomorrow.
No, you probably will NOT want to share.
Because I know I wanted allllll the Salted Double Chocolate Chip Banana “Ice Cream” for myself. All of it!
If you’re not an avid Pinterester (Pinner?), Snapchatter (I now joined! Follow me @chelseyamer!), Instagramer or food blog follower, then you may not be up on the latest “guilt free” (as they like to say) frozen treat taking over the internet. And I’m not talking about that rolled ice cream you can find here in NYC. I’m talking “nice” cream or “ice cream” made from frozen bananas. No special equipment required! (Remember yonanas?!)
When you blend or process frozen bananas the texture is creamiliciously smooth and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! While you could make 1-ingredient banana “ice cream” by whipping up frozen naners in your food processor or blender, in my mind, why wouldn’t you take it a step further and make Salted Double Chocolate Chip Banana “Ice Cream?!”
Now, I’m not typically a fan of chocolate ice cream, but this creation hits the nail on the head and satisfies every ice cream craving I’ve been having lately in this hot and humid weather.
Grab a sugar cone (they’re only 60 calories and a great way to satisfy your real ice cream desires!) and whip up a batch of this Salted Double Chocolate Chip Banana “Ice Cream” for your weekday ice cream cravings…and then treat yo’self and splurge for the real stuff on the occasional weekend…or just eat more naner “ice cream” … because, YES, it is THAT good!
Plus, it’s 100% good for you!
This Salted Double Chocolate Chip Banana “Ice Cream” is…
- Free of all major food allergens
- Made with just 5 ingredients!
- Nutritious and loaded with vitamins and minerals!
- Full of fiber
- Easy to make — no churning required!
- 6 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
- ½ cup milk of choice (I used unsweetened soy milk)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Optional: Splash of pure vanilla extract, sugar cones, sprinkles, additional chocolate chips
- In a food processor or high-powered blender, combine all ingredients except for chocolate chips and blend/process until smooth.
- Add half of the chocolate chips and pulse into combined.
- Transfer ice cream into a freezer-safe container (that has a lid to prevent freezer burn), mix in the remaining chocolate chips and freeze for at least 30 minutes, allowing the mixture to solidify for more ice cream-like consistency.
- Enjoy in a bowl, cone or straight from the freezer!
Calories: 160 Fat: 4g Fiber: 4g Protein: 2.5g
Don’t forget to PIN IT…
Have a happy, safe & healthy July 4th!