Get trendy with this new twist on breakfast, just in time for back to school season…SWEET POTATO TOAST, 2 ways! Just slice, toast, and top for a delicious grain-free toasty way to start your day!
Happy happy Monday!
I CANNOT believe it’s already back to school season! I’m finally just getting a taste of summer and leaving for vacation this SATURDAY (woooo hoooo!), but boy do I miss having a real summer break! #gettingoldproblems
Even though a large majority of the country’s kiddos are already sharpening their pencils (brushing off their laptops??), I don’t start my LAST semester (finally!!) of grad school until after Labor Day, but I’m actually looking forward to school supply shopping and organizing and studying for my RD exam, #nerdalert!
Well, since we’re getting back into a routine as the dog days of summer slow, it’s time to get real with my favorite meal of the day — BREKKIE! One of the most common complaints/questions/inquiries I hear from parents and friends alike is that breakfast gets boring and/or too time consuming. So I’m here to spread the newest toasting trend to fix that — SWEET POTATO TOAST!
Click here for more BREAKFAST recipes!
If you haven’t seen the sweet potato toast craze taking over the Internet, well, now you have! Unfortunately, this GENIUS idea is not originally mine, and I have NO idea who to credit for it, but I love this new twist on the sweet, sweet tater for breakfast.
If you’re not a regular reader of my What I Ate Wednesday series you may not be familiar with my sweet potato for breakfast obsession, but I usually just microwave and stuff ‘em and I’m off. This new twist slices, TOASTS, and tops for just as much deliciousness in a grain-free toasty way. Because sweet potatoes are NOT just for Thanksgiving!
So let’s talk nutrition! Sweet potatoes are…
- An excellent source of vitamin A**, so it’s better to SEE you with, my dear ((**vitamin A is excellent for eye health and night vision!)).
- A very good source of vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant to help prevent/shorten those end of summer sniffles
- A good source of POTASSIUM…think heart-health, debloating…
- A good source of BIOTIN…the BEAUTY vitamin as I like to call it for healthier/shinier/thicker hair, skin and nails!)
- Full of FIBER! My fave nutrient because it pretty much does everything from helping your ticker, preventing diabetes, and keeping you ((ahem)) regular.
You can pretty much top your toast with anything you want, but what would be a post about toast if we didn’t talk about what everyone loves the most — AVOCADO to boast! OK, too far, Chels.
Slice and/or mash your avo, top with a sprinkle of chili powder and chia seeds and EAT! It doesn’t get much better than that!
Since I’m 100% a sweet AND salty kinda girl — in toasty preference and personality 😉 — my second toast is full of sweet sunny goodness. If you don’t know by now that I’m obsessed with sunflower seed butter, you must be new ’round here (and I encourage you to read my “About” page & introduce yourself!), and I encourage you to DIY! Because homemade sunflower seed butter is SO much better. Add some naner coins and you’re good to go….
Happy brekkie and back to school season!
Get trendy with this new twist on breakfast, just in time for back to school season...SWEET POTATO TOAST, 2 ways! Just slice, toast, and top for a delicious grain-free toasty way.
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced longitudinally into ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seed butter
- ½ banana, sliced into round coins
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 avocado, sliced and/or mashed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Slice sweet potato into ¼-inch thick slices.
- Toast on high until soft to fork (it took my toaster 2 ½ rounds of toasting to get my desired consistency).
- Dress your toast, as desired: I lathered one slice with sunflower seed butter, cinnamon and banana coins and another with avocado, chili powder and chia seeds.
- Enjoy! :)
What are you most looking forward to for back to school season?