Get all of Popeye’s superpowers without struggling to eat your greens by starting your day with this nutritionally-balanced and 100% customizable green cocoa smoothie bowl! Made with real ingredients – banana, avocado, nut/seed butter, your favorite milk, and spinach – in just 5 minutes flat!
But before I dive head-first into holiday overload, I like to get back on my healthy eating track…because it’s more what you eat in between the holidays than on the holidays that affects if your pants fit and your energy levels come New Years Day.
So I figured for the #MeatlessMonday after Thanksgiving, a light and fresh smoothie bowl is just what the dietitian ordered!
A green cocoa smoothie bowl, to be precise…because, CHOCOLATE…for breakfast!
If you’ve been following my What I Ate Wednesday series or Instagram you know I’m a new fan of smoothie bowls. The first few times I made smoothie bowls (ya know, to stay trendy) I was NOT a fan. They say you need to introduce new foods to kids about 7-10 times before they actually like it, so I figured I’d try the same logic with myself…and it worked!
Now, I’m not saying you should force yourself to eat anything you don’t want to, but I love my daily green smoothies for breakfast, so why not switch it up and eat my smoothie like it’s soup!
I love kicking my day off with a smoothie ((bowl)) because…
- You can easily meet your daily quota of greens before your day gets hectic.
- It’s a nutritionally-balanced meal with protein, fiber, AND healthy fats so you’ll stay full until lunch.
- The monounsaturated fat (from avocado and nut/seed butter) helps your skin glow, keeps you satisfied, and slows digestion, preventing any blood sugar spikes.
- It’s totally portable, which is super important if you’re not a morning person (and I’m right there with ya!).
- It’s vegan/gluten free/nut free/grain free/everything free…except totally flavorful and deeeeelish!
- You can make smoothie packs ahead of time and just blend in the morning for a fast AM meal…and I’m 100% a HUGE believer in breakfast!
- There are only 6 ingredients in the base of this bowl.
- You can play dress up every morning and switch up your toppings so you’ll never get bored!
- Like I said earlier…CHOCOLATE….for breakfast!
Let’s dig in…
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup milk (I use unsweetened soy milk)
- 1 tablespoon seed/nut butter
- ¼ avocado
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (more to taste or Cacao Magic Superfood Powder)
- Toppings: chia seeds, sliced banana coins, pomegranate seeds, gogi berries, sunflower seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, One Degree Organic cacao crisps
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and add desired toppings.
Are you a smoothie bowl fan? What’s your favorite topping?