This Winter Citrus and Arugula Salad is bursting with flavor — peppery arugula complemented by sweet and tangy in-season citrus – you won’t notice it’s good for you too (and easy on the eyes!)!
I love it when food becomes art. Or is the art, food?
When I dream up recipes (yes, sometimes quite literally…I sleep with a notebook next to my bed!) sometimes I can envision exactly how I want to photograph a dish to portray the vision I fantasize about in my head. Other times I pray to the food gods that I’ll get some inspiration while I’m cooking.
When I brainstormed this Winter Citrus and Arugula Salad, it was a combination of having an image in my head I wanted to execute and being inspired by the striking colors of the fruit.
It’s often not toooo difficult to capture in-season produce because the colors are vibrant and jump off the plate. I don’t know about you, but food art excites me and winter citrus is just about some of the most gorgeous food photography there can be. Even for this novice photographer!
If you whipped up a batch of my Veggie Pot Pie Soup this weekend, this refreshing salad is the perfect accompaniment!
Bright citrus provides tons of nutritious benefits too…
- It’s loaded with vitamin C, which can shorten the duration of the common cold (and hello, it’s flu season!). Plus, vitamin C helps our bodies better absorb plant-based forms of IRON, which is potent in pumpkin seeds and dark leafy greens!
- Citrus is a great source of FIBER!
- Oranges contain folate and calcium too!
This recipe contains just 5 ingredients, plus the dressing, and is SO simple to whip up for lunch, to start a dinner party, or even as a snack!
- For the dressing:
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 2 ½ tablespoons orange juice
- Pinch salt and pepper
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon honey
- For the salad:
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 grapefruit, sliced
- 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1 navel orange, sliced
- 2 tablespoons pepitas
- Optional: Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk vigorously until uniform consistency forms.
- In a separate small bowl, toss arugula in a 1 tablespoon of dressing, tasting and adding more to your preference. Then evenly distribute the arugula on a large plate.
- Arrange the citrus slices on top of the arugula and evenly distribute pepitas on top. Sprinkle with an additional pinch of Himalayan sea salt before serving. Enjoy!
Are you a foodie at heART? What’s your favorite food to snap a pic of?
Happy MLK day!